McAdam Home & Building Center Ltd. is an independent family owned convenience hardware and building supply store. The owners Don and Rhonda Doherty purchased the assets of a General Store in 1986 from the Estate of W. Holly Lister. The business has been in operation on the same site since 1885 when George T. Baskin entrepreneur and politician operated a two and a half story general store. Baskin had varied financial interests, including a share in the new Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. This hotel was to become a favorite summer resort for wealthy Canadians and New Englanders. He later bought stores in Penobsquis and St. Stephen, New Brunswick.
Baskin hired Charles Moffat while Charles was still in high school. Moffatt had much to do with the store in McAdam, as well as St. Stephen. Up to 16 trains a day from Boston, Montreal, Halifax, and St. John passed through the village. Conveniently, Baskin's general store was located across from the first railway station.
George Baskin's store in McAdam, New Brunswick, as well as half of the village, was consumed by fire on a windy night on April 21, 1904. At the time of the fire, McAdam had grown from a small lumber camp in the first half of the 1800s to a major railroad junction for the Canadian Pacific Railroad. On May 5, 1904, Baskin commenced to rebuild his store in McAdam with improvements, as reported by the St. Andrews Beacon. The street between the tracks and the buildings was the only one that existed in the early days of the community, and the railroad was the only way in and out of the community.
In 1907, the business was sold to William Lister and Fred Embleton. They operated the store under the name Lister and Embleton as a partnership. William Lister died in 1927, and Fred Embleton purchased his half interest from William's widow and ran the business as a sole proprietorship until 1944 when it was sold to W. Holly Lister. Shortly after purchasing the business, it had burned down once again and another building arose from the ashes. Times had changed however and the main business district had switched to a new street on the other side of the railway tracks. The store front continued to face the original street but due to better access, business was now conducted through the "Back Door". This practice was still in existence when Don and Rhonda purchased the business. Not having undergone much change, the building had become run down, and in 2000, the business was converted from a general store concept to a hardware store and building supply business. A grand re-opening was held and a reunion of former employees took place.
Over the years the products, offered have changed and the premises have been renovated and improved. A modern computerized point of sale and inventory control system was first implemented in 1988, and updated again in 2012. What has not changed is the businesses philosophy, ingrained from one generation to the next. We still believe in the old time tradition of offering a high level of personalized service to our clientele while providing competitively priced products to meet their everyday needs. While there is no stove to gather around like there was in the old general stores of yesterday, customers still like to visit, tell tall stories and purchase the products they need in their everyday lives. We are happy to be here for them.